What is Obesity?
Obesity refers to excessive fat accumulation which causes health issues.
People with obesity have a body mass index(BMI) of 30 or more. Body mass index is an index of weight-for-height that is commonly used for allocating overweight and obesity in adults.
It may not provide any indication of the fat disturbance but despite this, BMI is used widely for allocating excess weight.
What causes obesity and overweight?
Consumption of more calories than burning them causes obesity. Overtime these calories increase and cause you to gain weight.
Common causes of obesity :
- Eating a poor diet having fat and sugar in high quantity.
- Having an inactive lifestyle due to work, changing modes of transportation, and increasing urbanization.
- Improper sleep that makes you feel hungrier and crave certain high-calorie food.
- Growing old, which decreases muscle mass and lower the metabolic rate.
- Obesity may be genetic, which may affect how your body processes food into energy.
Change in diet and physical activities are the results of environmental changes and lack of policies in health, food processing, transportation, environment, and education sectors
Moreover, there are certain medical conditions that may also lead to weight gain as -:
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), which causes hormonal changes in female.
- Prader-Willi syndrome, a rare condition in which an individual is born with, which causes excessive hunger.
What are the common health consequences of overweight and obesity?
Obesity leads to much more than just simply weight gain. A high ration of muscle fat puts a strain on your bones as well as your internal organs. It may also cause inflammation which is the ultimate cause of cancer.
Here are some of the health consequences of obesity :
- Cardiovascular diseases(mainly heart disease and stroke).wecdsd
- Some cancer(including breast, ovarian, liver, gallbladder, kidney, and colon).
- High blood pressure.
- High cholesterol.
- Sleep apnea.
The risk for these diseases increases with an increase in BMI.
Childhood obesity may result in premature death and disability in adulthood. Moreover, it may lead to more future risks like breathing difficulties, risk of fractures, hypertension, and psychological effects.
How Is Obesity Treated?
Obesity and other non-communicable diseases are largely preventable, by making the choice of healthier food and regular physical activities, the easiest choice.
People can –
- Limit the energy intake from total fats and sugar.
- Increase the consumption of fruits and vegetables, as well as legumes, whole grains, and nuts.
- Engage in regular physical activities.
If a person is suffering from a high level of obesity then he/she must consult with physician doctors as well as nutritionists and take medication and work according to their prescription.
Its and individual responsibility to choose a healthy lifestyle over that of an inactive lifestyle.
The food industry can play a good role in promoting a healthy diet by:
- Reducing the food containing fat, sugar, and salt.
- Ensuring that healthy choices are available to all consumers.
- Supporting regular physical activities in the workshops.
Other Benefits Of Exercise include
- Improve blood pressure and increase insulin sensitivity.
- Increased “good” HDL cholesterol levels and, reduced triglyceride levels.
- Reduce abdominal fat.
- Reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Releases endorphins that make people feel good.
General Exercise Recommendations
- Engage in moderate exercises like walking, jogging, bicycling, and swimming of 20 to 30 minutes daily.
- To make it easier these activities can be broken up into 10 minutes sessions.
- Start slowly to avoid injury, excessive soreness, and increase the sessions over time.
Weight Loss Surgery In The Treatment Of Obesity
This kind of treatment is for the persons having obese:
- Patients with a BMI more than that of 40(morbid obesity).
- Patients with a BMI greater than 35 and having health-related issues like sleep apnea, which can be treated through weight loss only.
But remember this kind of treatment is for those patients only which are mentioned above.
Maintain yourself with a healthy lifestyle. Consume the number of calories required by your body for energy, you are what you eat. Maintain healthy body weight and lead a healthy and happy life.