PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome) is a hormonal disorder common these days among one in five women. The exact cause of PCOS is not found. Women having PCOS suffer from irregular menstrual periods or excess male hormone levels. This hormone imbalance causes them to skip menstrual periods and due to this, it is very hard for them to get pregnant.
Moreover, PCOS leads to more hair growth on body and face and acne. In PCOS, many small sacs grow inside the ovaries, which are actually follicles, each one contains an immature egg.
Symptoms of PCOS
when you experience any two of these symptoms then only you have to go for a checkup.
1. Irregular periods. The irregular menstrual cycle is the most common sign of PCOS. For example, you may have periods in a gap of more than 30 days and abnormally heavy periods.
2. Excess androgen. An increase in the level of male hormones may result in physical signs such as excess body and facial hairs, acne, and male-pattern baldness.
3. Insulin resistance. More than 70 percent of women may suffer from insulin resistance which means that their cells can’t use insulin properly due to which the cells demand more insulin, the pancreas makes more insulin to deal with this problem. The excess level of insulin triggers the ovaries to produce more male hormones.
4. Weight gain. More than 70 percent of women with PCOS are overweight.
Complications of PCOS
PCOS affects a body very badly, it can cause the following –
- Endometrial cancer
- Abnormal uterine bleeding
- Sleep apnea
Treatment of PCOS
- Birth control pills
- Progestin therapy
- Metformin (Fortamet, Glucophage)
According to me, instead of going for medication, try to change your lifestyle, be active, limit carbohydrates, maintain a healthy weight, make a proper diet chart for yourself and follow it regularly and do exercise daily.